New Rumley was platted in 1813 by Jacob Custer, an uncle of the General. Prior to the building of the railroad in
1856, New Rumley was the half-way point between Steubenville and New Philadelphia, and all stage coaches in both directions stopped there for the night. In the late 1940s, the Ohio Historical
Society erected a memorial to General George A. Armstrong in the center of the town. The Custer Memorial Foundation oversees both the memorial and a museum that is housed in the former
Methodist Church. Several events are held in the town to commemorate the historical significance of the General.
Amenities: General George A. Custer Memorial and Museum
Annual Festival: Custer Day - 1st Saturday in June,
Custer Birthday Celebration - 1st Saturday in December
Churches: New Rumley United Methodist Church